Sunday, January 3, 2010

More good looking relatives!

I have met via the internet another couple of relatives - Derrell who is descended from Sion Gamblin the youngest son of William and Susannah and Roger who is also descended from Sion through another of his sons.
Derrell has been a wealth of pictures and has most graciously added them to the My Heritage family tree. They include these two - the fist being Zephuel Daniel the grandson of Sion - is he not just a handsome devil?

Zeph was born in 1838, and married Sarah Elizabeth Spears - who is rumoured to be of Cherokee descent, together they raised 9 children:
Francis Marion (from whom Derrell is descended)
Lona May
Marcus Walter
Claude Dellor
Sonorah Green
William Joseph
Mary Martha
Walter Thomas and
Oscar.

Next is Joseph W Gamblin, the son of Sion 1812 - 1894 he is Zephuel's father and would have been the nephew of my Ancestor Joshua Younger. I wonder if there is any resemblance between Joseph and his Uncle? I wonder how old he is in the picture? They lived in Oklahoma, I wonder how they suffered those beards and the ladies suffered those long dresses!!
(you may note I wonder a lot of things about my ancestors and their lives). I also think he was a good looking man - there is something about those eyes.



Joseph married Mahalia Harris and raised 12 children:
Zephuel Daniel
Martha
Nancy Jane
William
E. L.
John Henry
Joseph William
Mary
George Thomas
Sarah
Fulton and
Ruben Maxwell
How times have changed - toady if you have 12 children they make a television show about you, back then - it was the norm and I would imagine you were considered lucky.
If you want to check out more of these wonderful insights to our past, all the pictures are on the family tree. I am also adding more in the next couple of days that have been mailed to me from a different family.

1 comment:

  1. All those kids... in a log cabin, dirt floor, no bathroom, eat from only a fireplace.. alot of work!
    I remember coming across a Zelph Gamblin in the Civil War. I thought he was from Missouri, could've been Oklahoma though.
    Its kinda of odd that Joseph is looking right into the camera. People always seemed to be looking off somewhere else for pictures back then. Maybe thats why his eyes seem so intense. It must've been some occasion for him to get his picture taken too, don't you think?? wearing his fancy hat and all.

    I cant believe some of the old pictures that people still have.

    ReplyDelete